The review shall first begin with the definition itself. According to Wikipedia, MacTheRipper is a Mac OS X application that enables users to create a playable copy of the contents of a video DVD by defeating the Content Scramble System. It helps to delete the RCE region protection and copy DVD on Mac in VIDEO_TS folder without restriction of any DVD movies that you have. Since the freeware is such a large selection of good for Mac users, let's list its pros and cons side by side.
1. When it comes to the abovementioned scenario, such awkward situation will never happen as long as you own the free dvd ripper for Mac.
2. Although DVD is no longer expensive, replacing beloved DVDs that are scratched or smeared with jam is a bother. Well, MacTheRipper offers you a golden opportunity to create digital copy on your Mac OX. From then on, you can no longer worry about your investment being damaged.
3. Getting this program on your Mac computer means you can therefore save a lot of battery each time it rotates the disc.
4. Quality isn't an issue with MacTheRipper as it does not convert the source movies. Instead, it removes any region limitation by setting it to default region '0' and saves DVD in VIDEO_TS folder.
5. For us non-pros, this software is very simple to get it right the first time. It comes with a very nice and very clear manual, making it a breeze to copy a DVD to hard drive.
6. This software is totally free of charge. If you are on a tight budget, it is surely the top choice for you.
Dec 26, 2019 2. As the official MacTheRipper site has been shut down, support team does no longer exist for the software. Consequently, software updates is not readily available, especially when it comes to Apple's new version Mountain OS X Mountain Lion, so a Mac The Ripper alternative for Mountain Lion. Feb 13, 2019 Does not work on OSX Lion. It appears that the new, free version of Mac The Ripper does not work on OSX Lion. I don't believe th at there is an inherent issue with moving to Lion since the author has done it with the paid version. This is unfortunate.
1. Secrecy and back-alley character of its distribution can be annoying because you have to join RipDifferent forums, send an inquiry to its developers, and then wait for a response to learn how to send your gift if you are in hope for getting the latest version of the software.
2. As the official MacTheRipper site has been shut down, support team does no longer exist for the software. Consequently, software updates is not readily available, especially when it comes to Apple's new version Mountain OS X Mountain Lion, so a Mac The Ripper alternative for Mountain Lion is needed. Moreover, for the new DVD movies, MTR may fail to decrypt the copy protection.
3. Although obtaining a copy is confounding, MacTheRippper has a lot going for it in terms of output format. The need to play converted video on iPhone, iPad, iPod seems to be never realized as this program only copy DVD on Mac in VIDEO_TS folder.
In this circumstance, you're better off going with ripping software other than Mac the Ripper.
See also: Handbrake Mac VLC Rip DVD