Jul 02, 2012 Password Protect a Flash Drive. And recommended the Imation Defender Imation Defender F200 F200 as the top choice (although a pricey one). Jon considers an.
A USB device has been a part of technology since long and is still popular due to its portability and ease of use in file sharing. But have you ever thought is the data you are storing on your Flash Drive safe? While we all do not pay much attention to the security of the data, we make it vulnerable to attacks if they are stolen or lost. In order to keep all the stored data in a secure manner, we need to make sure the data saved is secure. Some of the best techniques one can use are:
This is a power file encryption software program that can quickly and safely lock and hide files, folder,and drives,and it can use 256-bit AES encryption to protect your files located on HDD drive or any portable media such as USB drive. Apr 17, 2020 Easy File Locker is a light-weight and easy-to-use file lock software product for Windows. It can protect your private files and folders. With its great protection, users will not be able to open, read, modify, delete, move, copy the locked files/folders, or even not be able to see it. May 28, 2019 Imation's LOCK software offers one additional security function to avoid individuals from guessing your security password and being able to view your information. If the password has happen to be entered incorrectly six situations, the system will immediately format the commute and delete all of the data in the secure partition.
This article walks you through the first point where we will discuss what is Encryption, its benefits and how to password protect the flash drive using a USB protection software.
What is Encryption?
In layman terms, Encryption is a method of securing data by making it unreadable into an encoded format which can only be decoded or converted back to readable format by authorized entities which have the decryption key.
Readable or plain text is encrypted using an algorithm and a key. The encrypted text is usually referred to as Cipher text. The Cipher text can be decrypted by the receiver only with the correct decryption key.
Is Password Protecting A Flash Drive Important?
While it is not necessary, it is always recommended to encrypt the data stored on a Flash drive since it may carry personal and sensitive data. The main reason is since USB drives are so small, the probability of losing them is high. So, in case of any such losses, your data will be secure from unauthorized access. Hence, it is always a good habit to password protect a USB drive.
As discussed, the best method to password protect your Flash drive is to use a USB protection program. Amongst our search for the best program, Gilisoft USB Encryption stands first in our list.
With a 5-star rating on CNET, Softpedia, EuroDownload it is pretty evident how amazing the program is. With Gilisoft USB Encryption it gets easy to encrypt flash drive and secure your important data.
Gilisoft USB Encryption provides security by dividing the flash drive into two categories namely, secure area and public area.
The public area is used to store the normal files whereas, secure area is to store the important and sensitive data. All the files that are stored in the secure area are encrypted and can be accessed by authorized entities with the set password.
It stands out from the other USB lock software because of its varied features which are described below:
Yet another USB protection software is USB Safeguard that uses the AES-256 algorithm to secure files, folders, etc by encrypting them and protecting them with a password.
Some of the best features of this lock USB drive software are:
|It is seen that protecting your personal and sensitive data is a mandate for everyone.There may be instances where you may have unauthorized access to your PC and ends up compromising your important data.|
For this, you can always have a File Shredder program installed that permanently deletes files from your Windows PC making them unrecoverable.
To know more read 10 Best File Shredder Software for Windows 10, 8 & 7
Rohos Mini Drive is one more amazing software to password protect your USB Flash Drive. It works by creating partitions that are hidden on your disk keeping your data safe and secure. It easily encrypt and password protect your files stored on the flash drive and hence makes an amazing USB lock software.
Some of its features are:
This is again an awesome USB lock software that provides utmost security to your USB drive. All you need to do it, drag-drop the files/folders into the secure vault of Kruptos 2 Go and the files gets encrypted automatically. This helps to protect your data from any kind of unauthorized access.
Some of the features of this lock USB drive software are:
These were some of the best password protect USB drive software, using which you do not have to worry about losing your sensitive data stored on a USB drive. While having a software is always a good idea, people are also using Cloud storages to have their data safe and secure.
One such amazing cloud storage application is RightbackUp from Systweak Software.
“RightBackup is an online storage service that keeps your data safe and backed up off-site, away from your home or office, is that it’s safe from theft, fire, and other local disasters.”
Do let us know how you liked the article, please key in your valuable suggestions and feedback in the Comments section below.
SanDisk SecureAccess v3.02 is a fast, simple way to store and protect critical and sensitive files on SanDisk USB flash drives.
Access to your private vault is protected by a personal password, and your files are automatically encrypted - so even if you share your SanDisk® USB flash drive or it becomes lost or stolen, access to your files are safe.
NOTE: SecureAccess is not required to use your flash drive as a storage device on Mac or PC. SecureAccess is a complimentary data encryption and password protection application.
SecureAccess v3.02 features
- Quicker start-up
- Improved password settings
- Faster Encryption with multi-thread processing
- Ability to edit your documents stored in vault
- File Streaming Access
- Encrypted Backup and Restore data stored in vault
- Optional File Shredder (deletion) from source after transfer to vault
- Automatic logout time-out setting
- The SanDisk SecureAcces Encryption program is a 128-bit AES encryption.
- If the password is forgotten, the information stored on the flash drive cannot be retrieved.
- There is no 'forgot password' option to reset the password.
- If the password cannot be remembered, with or without the password hint available, the files on the drive are not accessible.
- SanDisk Customer Care cannot provide a new password or alternative method to access encrypted data.
- The drive can still be used by reformatting and reinstalling SecureAccess.
- Formatting the drive will erase all data on the drive. Once the process begins, ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST!
- How To Use SecureAccess
Quick Start Guide
- Download Quick Start Guide
Download SecureAccess V3.02 Application for PC and Mac below:
- Download for PC (8MB)
- Download for Mac (13MB)
English,French, German,Spanish,Italian, Portuguese(Brazilian),Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, JapaneseandKorean
- Microsoft Windows® 10, Microsoft Windows® 8, Microsoft Windows® 7, Windows Vista®
- Mac OS® X 10.7+ (Intel Based Mac only) Symantec encryption desktop 10.4.2 free for mac download.
NOTE: SecureAccess is not supported on APFS drives
Instructions for Upgrading from Previous Versions
Migrate/Upgrade from SecureAccess v2.0 to v3.0 for Windows
Migrate/Upgrade from SecureAccess v2.0 to v3.0 for Mac
Migrate/Upgrade from SecureAccess v1.0 to v3.0 for Windows
Migrate/Upgrade from SecureAccess v1.0 to v3.0 for Mac
1. Can I access a SecureAccess Vault from both Mac and Windows PC
2. How do I setup my private vault in a Windows PC?
3. How do I setup my private vault in a Mac computer?
4. How do I add files or folders into my private vault?
5. How do I backup or restore data in my SanDisk SecureAccess v3.0 vault?
6. How to Shred (delete) files from source computer after transfer to SecureAccess Vault
7. How do I remove SecureAccess software on my Cruzer flash drive?
8. How can I recover my password?
9. What can I do if my files are not showing up correctly in a SecureAccess v3.0 Vault?
More SecureAccess answers >>>